The fort still known with its Turkish name, Firca (Firka = barracks) was built in order to protect the entrance of the harbour. A thick chain from Firca to the base of the light-house closed the harbour in case of siege. The inside area was divided into barracks and ammunition warehouses. Over the door of the first floor there is the following inscription : "ALOYSIUS BRAGADEUS PROVISOR CYDONIAE M. DCXX". Firca was used as military barracks and a prison. The flag of the Unification of Crete to Greece was symbolically raised on the corner watch-tower on 1st December 1913.
The conference venue will take place at the Center of Mediterranean Architecture (CAM), www.kam-arsenali.gr, situated in the old port of the city of Chania at Katehaki Squ., in the city of Chania - Crete (see map).
Chania, (http://www.chania.gr) is situated in the northwest side of the Crete Island. Air flight connections with its international Airport - Daskaloyianni, 16km far from the Chania city with 10 flights per day (duration of 30min from Athens El. Venizelos International Airport).